Truck Farm tells the story of a new generation of quirky urban farmers. Using green roof technology and heirloom seeds, filmmaker Ian Cheney (KING CORN, THE CITY DARK) plants a vegetable garden on the only land he’s got: his Granddad's old pickup. Once the mobile garden begins to sprout, viewers are trucked across New York to see the city's funkiest urban farms, and to find out if America's largest city can learn to feed itself. Blending serious exposition with serious silliness, Truck Farm entreats viewers to ponder the future of urban farming, and to consider whether sustainability needs a dose of whimsy to be truly sustainable. Featuring chef Dan Barber, nutritionist Marion Nestle, explorer Henry Hudson and a very lonely seagull. With musical narration by The Fishermen Three.
INSPIRED? TAKE ACTION!
- Slow Food USA seeks to create dramatic and lasting change in the food system. They reconnect Americans with people, traditions, plants, animals, fertile soils and waters that produce our food. They seek to inspire a transformation in food policy, production practices, and market forces so that the ensure equity, sustainability and pleasure in the food we eat (www.slowfoodusa.org)
- The Campus Kitchen Project is a national organization dedicated to student-powered hunger relief. They are training the next generation of leaders to implement innovative new models to combat hunger, and are bringing those models to communities around the nation. The Campus Kitchen’s Project partners with high schools, colleges, and universities to share on-campus kitchen space, recover food from cafeterias, and engage students as volunteers who prepare and deliver meals to the community. (www.campuskitchens.org)
- The Edible Schoolyard. A hands-on scientific approach through elementary aged learning through gardening and farming tools. www.edibleschoolyard.org/lessons-recipes
- What positive impacts can sustainable agriculture have on your community?
- What is a "food system"?
- What are some ways you can change your diet to eat more sustainably?
- Where do you think the food in your school cafeteria or favorite restaurant comes from?
- Can you trace its origins?
2012 FILM FESTIVAL
Queen of the Sun
June Featured Film
July Featured Film
July Featured Film
August Featured Film
Lunch Line: With Exclusive Interviews
September Featured Film
The Love of Beer: With Exclusive Interviews
October Featured Film
November Featured Film
Delicious Peace Grows in a Ugandan Coffee Bean
December Featured Film
Betting the Farm
January Featured Film
February Featured Film